STEM up your students’ knowledge and skills with STEM Camp in a Box. Filled to the brim with fun, easy-to-use resources, this box has everything students need to engage, create, and investigate.
Wind Turbine for Outdoor Decorations Design Challenge Overview
With this fun-filled box, students design, construct, and test a wind turbine that can be used to illuminate outdoor decorations. The wind turbine must transfer the kinetic energy of moving air mass to an electric current.
Who It’s For:
Middle schoolers (6th – 8th grade students) will find substantial value in this design challenge, equipped with all the necessary materials. Using the Argument-Driven Inquiry instructional model, students will explore relationships between technology, people, and the environment, energy and matter, and structure and function.
Toss aside the textbooks and give students an opportunity to test their science, mathematics, and engineering knowledge firsthand. They’ll build skills necessary to meet the Next Generation Science Standards, a Framework for K-12 Science Education, the Common Core - Mathematics, the K-12 Engineering Framework, and state standards for science. Click here to view a detailed standards alignment document for this design challenge.
- Serves up to 24 students working in small groups.
- Designed for 6th – 8th-grade students.
- Takes approximately 12 hours and can be completed over the course of two to three days, but remains flexible to your group's needs.
- Before starting your STEM Camp, take the self-paced online training to learn about the ADI instructional model, the specific design challenges, and how to efficiently administer a STEM Camp for 24 to 1000+ students.
- Community Building Box with supplies needed to complete five STEM icebreakers to boost participation
- Group toolbox for optimal organization, which includes various engineering tools, such as scissors, hammers, pencils, markers, hobby snippers, screwdrivers, safety glasses, and more
- 6 sets of high-quality materials for designing wind turbines
- A teacher guide with lesson plans, discussion questions, and student handouts to guide students’ knowledge
- Online introduction video, digital downloads, and more
How many boxes should I purchase?
We recommend for every week (5 days) of camp you will need two STEM Camp boxes per 24 students.